Saturday, January 14, 2012

Bog#2: Dance


Dance has been something that really helped me get through hard times. I am the type of person that really needs something to focus all my energy on; for me this was dance. Dancing on my school’s dance team was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. We had class every day and practiced thirty five hours a week. I am sure that in seeing how much we practiced, it is no surprise that we were ranked in the top dance teams of the United States. The four years that I spent dancing were probably the most intense and painful years of my life. There was constant stress put on me to work a little harder, to be a little more flexible, to practice for a few more minutes, and I felt as though any moment I would break. The truth is that what got me through the injuries and long hours was my passion. I feel like everyone has the potential to be great, and jazz and lyrical dancing was what I was amazing at doing. I could lose myself in the music no matter how many times we repeated the song or step. Without dance, I honestly do not think I would have made it into Florida State University. The friends I made on my dance team and my coach all pushed me to be the best I could, and although I felt as though the world was pressing hard against my shoulders back then, I now look back and wish I had the chance to be on the team once again. Dance was and still is something that I can put my full heart into and feel like everything will be ok.

6 comments:

  1. I can definitely relate to the stress certain activities can put on you. School was the weight that I held on my shoulders, but from what I can tell you didn’t succumb to the pressure. I, however, have reached my breaking point a time or two. You have to do the things you have to in order to live a fulfilling life and have the memories that you do about dance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting hearing about having a passion for something and being able to push forward and do what you want against all the odds, in your case it was the dancing and the injuries and the stress that your activity put you through. It is good to have a passion for something because passion it what drives us to be better and it gives us a sense of purpose. I had a passion like that for Soccer and even though I injured my knee a couple of years back and wasn't allowed to play anymore, I still play casually whenever I can. I wish you best of luck in all your dancing and hope that everything goes as you hope it does.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the photo you have chosen shows both the graceful skills of dancing as well as the passion which you discussed in your blog. I think the photo does that well through the shadows and colours used.
    I think you have expressed a lot about yourself through this blog, it's great that something so simple as getting involved in dancing has had such a huge impact on your life and helped shape who you are today and reach this point in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think its really true that no matter how hard you work and try to fight through the pain, at the end of the day, success comes from the amount of passion you show on the thing you love doing. I like the picture you chose, it shows a sense of elegance and strength that empowers what dance is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean about dance, its very similar to my relationship with volleyball. Its a part of your life you cant imagine yourself without it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the picture you chose definitely represented the passion you have for dance. It takes a lot of hard work and dedication to be a great dancer and you've shown that with the image. I can relate with how dance got you through every day because that was how baseball was for me.

    ReplyDelete